Northbrook, IL Post-Judgment Modifications Attorney

Compassionate divorce Lawyer Assisting The North Shore of Illinois with Post-Judgment Modifications

After finalizing your divorce, you probably hoped that you were done dealing with the court system. Almost no one enjoys being involved in a family law case. Court cases that affect your family—especially your children—can be incredibly stressful and emotionally draining. It can feel great to get a finalized divorce decree. However, life continues to happen even after a divorce. One or both parties, or a child involved, could experience a significant change in circumstances. Getting a post-decree modification is possible, and in these cases, it is important to be represented by an experienced attorney who understands how the court will consider your case.

Sucharski Law Firm LLC is a firm of seasoned divorce attorneys. We are just as skilled in modifying divorce decrees as we are in creating agreements that meet our clients' personal needs. Major life changes can render an existing divorce decree unworkable. For example, if you lose your job, you might no longer be able to pay the spousal support previously ordered. If your job requires you to relocate, your parenting time schedule might need to change. Our attorneys are here to help you adapt your divorce order to reflect any changes life throws at you.

When Can I Modify My Divorce Decree?

If people could modify their divorce decree at will, a final divorce decree would not really mean much. Some parties might sign an agreement just to finalize the divorce faster and then immediately start seeking modifications. Therefore, Illinois courts have to be somewhat strict about who can or cannot request and receive a post-judgment modification. The general rule is that if you have experienced a substantial life change, you can request a modification.

Circumstances the court generally accepts as grounds for a modification include:

  • Salary change - If one of you loses your job, gets a raise, or takes a different job with a different salary, the amount of support obligations could change.
  • Health changes - If one party or a child acquires a disability or serious illness, you may need a change to reflect this.
  • Relocation - A parent seeking to relocate with their children will need to go to court. While some type of modification in child custody may be ordered, the court will need to consider the impact the move might have on the child.
  • Remarriage - If the party who is receiving spousal support remarries or starts cohabiting with a new partner, alimony payments may be terminated.

Modifying Child Custody for Cause

The court may allow modifications to the allocation of parental responsibilities or parenting time if these changes are in the best interests of the child. If you have evidence that your child is unsafe in any way when they are with the other parent, you may be eligible for a rapid modification. The court will generally modify the child custody schedule upon seeing evidence of:

  • Abuse - The other parent or anyone in their household is physically, mentally, emotionally, or sexually abusive to your child.
  • Neglect - Your child's basic needs are not being met by the other parent. For example, your child may complain of not getting three meals a day or may not be wearing clean diapers and clothing when you pick them up.
  • Exposure to adult issues - If your child is around a person who abuses substances, is severely mentally ill, or is engaged in criminal activity, the court may act to protect your child.

Modifications to child custody for cause can generally be accomplished quickly. It is important to call a lawyer right away if you believe that your child is in an unsafe situation with the other parent.

Contact a Northbrook, IL Post-Judgment Modifications Lawyer

If you need a change in your divorce decree, Sucharski Law Firm LLC can fight for it. Our caring North Shore divorce attorneys will carefully put together the strongest case possible to take to court. Contact us at 224-276-6776 for a free consultation with a knowledgeable attorney.

badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top